Work on the infrastructure that keeps London moving, working and growing.
“I’ve always enjoyed problem solving and being inventive. Being an engineer allows me to use these skills to help improve transport in London.
I’ve only been in the role a few months but I know I’m growing in confidence, I have chaired team meetings and presented to my team.”
— Bethany, Civil Engineer Level 3 Apprentice
How long: 3 years
Salary: £19,663 (reviewed in line with London Living Wage)
Scheme begins: April 2021
What you’ll need:
- A minimum of 5 GCSE’s A*-C or Grade 4 and above including Maths, Science and English Language (or equivalent).
- To be 18 years of age 1st September 2020 to be eligible for this scheme
We’re looking for people who are:
- Highly motivated
- Logical thinkers who are willing to learn
- Resilient and adaptable
- Results driven with strong communication skills
Our Civil Engineers create and maintain the essential infrastructure that supports the whole of London’s transport network, including London Underground, DLR and our strategic road network.
Our asset stock is hugely varied, and includes thousands of bridges, hundreds of kilometres of roads and tunnels, hundreds of embankments and cuttings and a vast network of drainage. These assets are the essential foundation of the transport system that keeps the city moving, working and growing.
What will I be doing?
The work will vary from placement to placement however for all of them; you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact on the millions of journeys customers make across London each day.
- You may find yourself working on maintaining and improving the structures and earthworks of London Underground.
- You might be working on site on the delivery of step-free access schemes to improve accessibility to the network.
- You could be given the chance to complete a placement on a major project such as the Silvertown tunnel river crossing.
- All these activities will directly make a positive improvement to many Londoners’ daily lives.
Where can this career take me?
Upon successful completion of this scheme, you could roll-off into one of the following roles:
- Engineering Technician
- Assistant Engineer
- Works Inspector
- Assistant Project Manager
- Assistant Operations Officer
Which could lead to further career development opportunities in our engineering, operations and project delivery teams.